Tattershall Castle in Lincolnshire throws its doors open to biker groups and enthusiasts for a special FREE opening on Friday 20th May between 11am – 4pm.
On the main road (A153) to the Lincolnshire coast, bike enthusiasts will be familiar with Tattershall but not necessarily as a place to visit, so now is your chance! Climb the 150 steps from the basement to Battleparts, check out the 17th century graffiti, enjoy the incredible views from the roof including neighbouring RAF Coningsby or just relax in the grounds and enjoy some hog roast! Special provision has been made for storage of helmets.
Standing proud in the Lincolnshire landscape, Tattershall Castle is a rock of a building! Its story is one of splendour, decay and rebirth. Built in the 15th Century as a statement of power, laid to ruin for over 200 years and finally rescued in 1911, today this mammoth, brick medieval castle acts as an iconic landmark for many.
Also on the day, there will be a chance to find out about other events Tattershall has planned for the year ahead, including a brand new arts project called Dark Materials in which the darker side of life will be explored through a major new art exhibition and an alternative gothic country fair!
We are keen to offer a interesting experience for the biker community and somewhere you wish to visit so any ideas for events and attractions will be greatly recieved.
A brief History of Tattershall Castle
The impressive 130ft tower of Tattershall Castle stands proud in the flat landscape of central Lincolnshire. Its tale is one of remarkable splendour, decay and rebirth.
The origins of Tattershall Castle
Tattershall Castle’s red-brick appearance belies the fact that it is a medieval castle, built in the 1440s by Lord Cromwell. However, this imposing castle which dominates the surrounding fens wasn’t the first castle to stand on this site.An earlier stone castle was built by Robert de Tateshale in the early 13th century. King John had granted his father a charter in 1201 to hold a weekly market in the village, in exchange for a trained goshawk. Many carved stone remnants from this lost castle can still be seen on local houses.
The Lord Treasurer’s masterpiece
By the early 15th century, Tattershall Castle had passed to Ralph, 3rd Baron Cromwell. Cromwell was a landowner, politician, diplomat and soldier. In 1433 he became Lord Treasurer to Henry VI and began pouring his vast income into building Tattershall Castle and his other estates.
Cromwell designed the Great Tower of Tattershall Castle as the ultimate statement of his power. It is a masterpiece of early English brickwork and remains one of the three most important surviving mid 15th-century brick castles in England. When Cromwell died, the Castle was inherited by his niece, Joan Bourchier, only to be confiscated by the crown after her husband’s death.
The romantic ruin
Over the coming centuries, Tattershall Castle’s fortunes continued to change along with its owners. In 1693, its defences were pulled down following the Civil War. There followed 200 years of gradual decline. The moats were filled in and the grounds became part of a neighbouring farm. The Castle itself faced the ignominy of being used for housing cattle.
A treasure is restored
In the early 20th century, Tattershall Castle was bought by an American syndicate for architectural salvage. Its demolition became an imminent threat. The sale and removal of the Castle’s fireplaces caused an outcry and attracted the interest of Lord Curzon. It was Curzon to the rescue. He bought the Castle in 1911 and set about trying to save the missing fireplaces. They were found at Tilbury Docks in London and returned to Tattershall with much celebration the following year.
Thanks to Lord Curzon’s generosity and imagination, repair work began. The moats were excavated, the tower restored, the windows and floors replaced, and the battlements reconstructed. Tattershall Castle was at last transformed back to its rightful glory.
Tattershall Castle was opened to visitors on 8 August 1914 and bequeathed to the National Trust on Lord Curzon’s death in 1925.